Google Chrome is one of the most popular and widely used web browsers. We depend on Google Chrome to look up anything. However, it is seen that when you are searching for a page, the result is “Aw, Snap!” It is unable to display the page. The prime reason for the webpage not being displayed is because Chrome uses too much memory.
Since the RAM is responsible for storing temporary data, sometimes it gets choked with a high inflow of data. Hence, you must limit the use of tabs in one browser. It will slow down the process, and ultimately, the entire browser will suddenly stop. Following are some steps to guide you through the process of reducing chrome memory usage.
Why is Google Chrome Using Too Much Memory?
Google Chrome is undoubtedly the most efficient browser. However, sometimes you will see that the application suddenly stops functioning amid your search. You cannot browse through the contents as Chrome struggles to keep the navigation quick. One of the prime reasons for the snag in Google chrome is when you keep too many tabs open.
It leads to the negative performance of the browser, thus resulting in the freezing of the same. Therefore, if you want faster access to your web pages in the chrome browser, you need to fix the issue as soon as possible.
Following are some solutions with which you can make chrome use less energy.
How to Find Out What Chrome is Using All Your Memory For?
Chrome is a popular browser that has become the most used browser in the world. It is also one of the most resource-intensive browsers on the market. If you are wondering why your computer slows down after using Chrome.
There are two ways to find out which tab is using too much memory:
1) The first thing you need to do is open up the Task Manager. Once there, go over to the Processes tab and look for Google Chrome in the list of processes. Now click on Google Chrome and look at what’s being used by it in terms of Memory Usage and CPU Usage. If you see that Google Chrome is using up more than 50% of your CPU or Memory then there might be an issue with it. You can try closing all other tabs in order to see if that helps with the problem or if it continues to use a lot of resources then you might want to consider uninstalling or restarting it.
2) Open Chrome and click on “Menu” then “More tools” and then “Task manager”. Find the tab that’s using up all of your memory and close it.
9 Simple Solutions to Fix Chrome Uses Too Much Memory
Enable Hardware Acceleration:
One of the prime solutions to use Google Chrome smoothly is to enable hardware acceleration. It uses your computer’s graphics card to speed up the browser and free up memory. So, if you are watching a video online or in the middle of a game and your PC suddenly stops, you need to enable the hardware acceleration. Following are the steps for enabling hardware acceleration.
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the browser.
- Select settings and click on the ‘Advanced’ option to display more settings.
- Enable the Hardware acceleration option.
- Close the browser and open it again to check whether it works smoothly.
Disable Unnecessary Chrome Extensions:
If your Google Chrome is using too many extensions, it is a cause for concern. You will not be able to navigate from one tab to another smoothly. Moreover, you will also face difficulties in opening a particular webpage. Therefore, the best solution is to disable Chrome extensions that are not in use. You must open the Google Chrome browser and click on the ‘Expanded features’ button. Select the expansions that you do not need and click on the disable option. Close the browser and open it to see the changes.
Update Your Browser:
One of the reasons for Chrome’s high memory usage is that it is not updated. You have to update the browser whenever you receive any notification. However, if you ignore the notification, you will encounter many errors and high memory usage. Therefore, if you want to update your browser, you need to follow these steps:
- Open your browser and click on the three dots in the upper-right corner.
- In the expanded menu option, select ‘settings’ and then select the ‘About Google Chrome option.
- Once you select the option, it will automatically check whether your browser needs an update.
- You must click on the ‘update’ option if your browser needs updating. It is helpful as you will get the latest version of the browser, and it will debar you from all the errors and memory usage you faced while using Google Chrome.
Turn Off Chrome’s High Memory Usage:
It is a common practice for us to open many tabs in the browser while we are searching Google. It is because it is easy to navigate from one page to another, so you do not waste time. However, during the process, you are causing a heavy burden on memory usage. You will find that your PC is not working smoothly and your browser will suddenly stop functioning. Therefore, it is advisable to find the pagination with high memory in the task manager and turn it off instantly. To perform the task, use the following steps:
- Press Esc, Shift, and Ctrl tab together to open the Task Manager.
- In the Processes tab, expand ‘Google Chrome.
- From the list available, check where there is high memory usage.
- Once you identify the list of high memory usage, you select them individually and tap on the end process button.
Take Help From Google:
If you are facing problems due to the high memory usage of Chrome, you need to take some steps to resolve them fast. However, if you are unaware of going through the correct procedure, the best option is to get help from Google. You need to follow the steps to get Chrome to function smoothly.
- Open the Chrome browser and tap the three-dot buttons in the upper right corner.
- In the expanded menu, select ‘Settings.’
- From the list of options, select ‘the about chrome’ option.
- Tap on the option to get help with the Chrome page.
- Check to see if your Chrome is now working smoothly.
Clear Cache and Cookies:
We are so busy using search engines that we often do not realize the proportion of cache and cookies present in the memory of your computer. It is one of the prime reasons that deter Chrome from functioning smoothly. Hence, you must clear the ‘Cache memory’ and ‘Cookies’ from your memory as soon as possible. It causes a lot of memory usage and triggers problems with your browser. Hence, if you want to know how to decrease chrome memory usage by deleting the cache and cookies, follow the steps:
- Click on the three-dot button in the upper right corner of Chrome.
- In the expanded menu, select ‘More Tools.’
- Select the ‘Clear browsing data option.
- In the clear browsing data screen that appears, check the Cookies, cached data, and other unnecessary data.
- Click on the ‘Clear data’ button.
- Please close your browser and open it again to check the functioning of Chrome.
If you continuously face problems with Chrome due to high memory usage, you can use one of the above steps to resolve the issue. However, if nothing is working in your favor, then the real problem is with your Chrome browser. Therefore, you should uninstall Chrome from your PC and reinstall it for better results. Following are the steps that will guide you through resetting Chrome.
- Click on the three dots button of your Chrome browser
- Select the ‘Settings’ option.
- Select the ‘Advanced’ option and click on the ‘Tap reset and clean up option.
- Tap on the ‘Restore settings to their original default’ option.
- Click on the ‘Reset Setting’s button.
However, if you want to Reinstall Google Chrome, the following are the steps.
- Before reinstalling Google Chrome, you need to uninstall it first.
- To do so, use Windows + R option to open the Run option.
- Type ‘Control’ and click on OK
- In the Control panel, find Google Chrome from the list.
- Right-click to select the uninstall option.
- Once the uninstallation is over, you need to reinstall Google Chrome.
- Check to see if you are successful in making chrome use less memory.
Disable Background Applications:
If there are too many applications running in the background, it can cause a massive problem for your chrome browser. You need to disable the background apps and preload web features to fix the issue you face with Google Chrome.
- Tap the three-button icon present on the browser.
- Click on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Select the ‘Security and Privacy tab option.
- Select ‘Cookies’ and other data options.
- Disable the preload pages. It will help in fast browsing.
- It would be best if you also disabled the background apps that still function when Google Chrome is closed.
Check for Malware:
The presence of Malware is hazardous to your system as it affects its proper functioning. You will not be able to use the Chrome browser effectively. It also affects your PC and is the leading cause of corrupted files. Hence, you must check for Malware often if you are online most of the time. Following are the ways to check for Malware.
- The open setting from the three-dot button of your Chrome browser.
- Select the ‘Advanced’ option and tap the ‘Reset and clean up option.
- Select the ‘clean up computer’ option and tap on the ‘Find’ option to locate malware.
- Wait for the entire process to complete.
- Open Chrome and check if it is working smoothly.
Why is Chrome using so much memory? It is a universal question that we all come across. Though Chrome on your PC is consuming a lot of memory, you should not worry. It is because various solutions will help you decrease Chrome’s memory usage. Moreover, you should clear the cache and cookies of your system on a timely basis and check the Malware.
It will prevent you from facing further issues in the future with your Google Chrome, as you will be happily and smoothly browsing your requirements.