It must be annoying when you try to connect to a server in Linux and see an error message on your screen ‘no route to host.’ There is no need to worry, as you can fix the issue yourself. However, you need to find out and identify the actual cause. Usually, no route to host in Linux occurs when there is a problem with the network, or the setup is incorrect. Hence, before you try to identify the cause of the error message, check whether you have the proper network settings and whether there is the correct configuration of the DNS.
The “No Route to Host” error is usually caused by a routing issue. This can be caused by the network connection between your computer and the internet or an issue with your DNS settings. It can also happen if the user has not set up their network properly and is not connected to a network.
- Steps to Resolve “No Route to Host Error Message in Linux”
- How Can You Fix Port 22: No Route to Host?
- How to Resolve the Error Message ‘telnet No Route to Host?
- How to Fix Ftp: Connect: No Route to Host?
- When Do You Get the Message ‘Curl No Route to Host?
- How to Fix Failed to Load Board Configuration Connection Error?
Steps to Resolve “No Route to Host Error Message in Linux”
Configure the DNS:
- The first step to resolving the DNS is by running the command, system-resolve-status
- If you find any problem, you must return to your network configuration and redo it. The DNS will configure automatically if you use a standard network with a dynamic IP.
- To manually update the DNS, you must go to Network Manage and enter the IP address in the IPv4 tab.
- After the process, you must restart the computer to get the correct settings.
Check the Host Connection:
Sometimes due to server issues, the host connection may not function properly. Therefore, before trying to resolve the error message, check whether the internet service is running or not. It is one of the most frequent causes that can happen due to some maintenance or other issues. Hence, if you want to check the status of the host connection, the following are the steps:
- Run the command ‘sudo systemctl status servicename.
- If you find the service is running, you need to identify other causes of the error message.
Check the Ports:
If you find that the service is running smoothly, then the next step is to check the cables. It is most likely that the port you are using is not apt. Most of the services change their default port for security reasons, a measure to avoid hackers causing damage to the network. However, you must install a security tool if you are trying to connect from your server. NMAP helps you to see the standard ports. Once you install NMAP, you need to check the standard ports through the command Sudo Nmap -sS target server-IP. If it does not work, you need to contact the host.
Check the hostname:
You may get a host-to-connect error if your computer and server that you are combining have a different hostname. To resolve the issue, you need to configure both to one another. You must also check the host denies and host allows files as it sometimes blocks the connection. Hence, when connecting to a new server, check whether you have the correct hostname.
Iptables – Check if it is blocking the connection:
Iptables are pretty helpful for the configuration of the Linux kernel firewall tables. The tables control the ins efficiently and out of traffic to your computer. However, if there is a configuration error, it can block the connection and give rise to the error message, ‘no route to host.
- Check a list of the iptables by typing sudo iptables -L and pressing Enter
- Run the command sudo iptables-S. It will let you know whether the iptables are blocking your network or not.
- You can also clear the firewall by typing the command sudo iptables –F
How Can You Fix Port 22: No Route to Host?
One of the most common errors you encounter while using SSH is ‘connect to host port 22, no route to host. One of the prime reasons for connection errors can be the server being down. You can do so by running the ping command. If the ping command results run smoothly, you need to check for other reasons for the error message. The other reason for the ‘host connect error’ statement can be the firewall blocking your system.
How to Resolve the Error Message ‘telnet No Route to Host?
When you get an error message ‘telnet unable to connect to remote host: No route to host,’ it may be due to the presence of a firewall. The internal firewall of your machine may be enabled, causing the network connection blockage. To resolve the issue, you need to follow the given below steps:
- Update the /etc/sysconfig/iptables to restart the iptables service.
- Check the policies by typing the command iptables -L
- You need to check ports 111 and 2049 to enable the telnet ports
- Quit the application.
How to Fix Ftp: Connect: No Route to Host?
While setting up the FTP server on Linux, you may get an error message, “no route to host”. It is a common issue, and you can easily resolve it once you identify it. The primary cause of the error may be the ip_conntrack_ftp kernel module missing. Following are the steps to resolve the error message:
- Add the command line ‘IPTABLES_MODULES=”ip_conntrack_ftp”
- Save it and restart your computer.
You will see that the connection has been resolved and running smoothly. However, time and again, you need to check the FTP connections and iptables as sometimes they block the link to your network.
When Do You Get the Message ‘Curl No Route to Host?
When you get a curl error, it means there is a block in the permission of your network connection. It may be due to many reasons. However, the most common issue of a curl error message may be due to the presence of a firewall. You may face the problem whenever the curl request is not at par with the standard ports. You may encounter an error message if you curl to a URL on port 1234. However, if you curl to port 80, you may get a positive result. It can resolve if you are issued the error message ‘curl no route to host.’
How to Fix Failed to Load Board Configuration Connection Error?
When you try to load any thread from the main site, you may find it broken and get the message ‘failed to load board configuration connection error .’To resolve the issue, you can first check the connection to see if it is running smoothly. Sometimes, you can get error messages when there is a glitch in the network.
Once you are sure about the connection, the next step is temporarily disabling all the extensions and user scripts. Here, you will understand the actual cause of the error message. You can also uninstall your previous Firefox and install the new version.
‘No route to host error message is the last thing you want to see popping on your computer screen, and it stalls all the urgent work. However, it would be best if you were conversant with the typical error message so that it is easy for you to resolve it. The first thing you must keep in mind is to check the configuration of your system. You must follow the various steps above if everything is in the right spot. You will get a positive result and resolve the issue of the error message, ‘ssh no route to host.’