When your computer is having issues, it can be difficult to diagnose and fix the problem. One of the most common issues that people face is when their computer won’t open Steam. In this article, I have mentioned various ways to fix Steam Won’t Open Windows 10. If you are a PC gamer, then Steam is a must. It is the ultimate gaming platform for your PC or laptop. So, now, you are ready and excited to play your favorite PC game using the steam platform.
However, the most annoying part is that you can access the Steam library to play games, as Steam won’t open Windows 10. You are in a fix now, as there is no way you can make things work. But the exciting part is that there is nothing to worry about as these are technical issues. You can quickly fix the error by using some simple steps.
- How to Fix Steam Won’t Open Windows 10
- 1. Shut Down All Steam Tasks In The Background:
- 2. Restart Your Computer:
- 3. Check Your Network Connection
- 4. Uninstall And Then Reinstall Your Steam Client
- 5. Update Your Operating System And The Drivers
- 6. Following Are The Steps To Install ‘Driver Easy’:
- 7. Disable The Anti-Virus of Your System
- 8. Repair Your System Files
- 9. Restore Your System From A Restore Point:
- 10. Clear Cache:
How to Fix Steam Won’t Open Windows 10
Following are the various ways you can resolve the steam problems and windows 10 issues.
1. Shut Down All Steam Tasks In The Background:
One of the prime reasons for Steam not opening Windows 10 is that you have not shut down your Steam client properly. It may be due to various reasons. Hence, when you try to relaunch Steam, your system considers the previous Steam client, and it fails to reload the application again and therefore does not open. Hence, ending all Steam tasks in the Task Manager is advisable. To do so, the following are the steps:
- Right-click the mouse button on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Click on ‘Start Task Manager.
- Right-click again and click on End task. It will end all the running Steam tasks.
- Click on Steam again and check whether it is working.
2. Restart Your Computer:
One of the best solutions to all problems is restarting your computer. It may be a minor issue, but sometimes they tend to block specific applications’ functioning. Hence, if you restart your PC or laptop, it can wipe off minor errors. It is the simplest yet the most popular solution that can give an end to your immediate software or hardware issues. Hence, it is advisable that if the Steam application is unable to launch, try to restart your PC or laptop.
3. Check Your Network Connection
Sometimes the Steam client of Windows 10 is unable to open due to network issues. It may be your modem or router has become corrupt. Hence, it may be an obstacle for the Steam client to open. However, there is nothing to panic as you can resolve the issue with some simple steps:
- Shut down your computer along with your Router and Modem.
- Unplug all the power cables and wait for some minutes.
- Plug the power cables back into their position.
- Start your PC or laptop and then your Modem and Router.
- Check if you are facing the same issue.
4. Uninstall And Then Reinstall Your Steam Client
It may happen that you are constantly facing Steam Windows 10 issues. The best solution is to uninstall the application and reinstall it again. To do so, the following are the steps:
- Uninstall the Steam client from your PC or laptop.
- Go to the official website and click on the download option to download the new Steam installer.
- Once you have downloaded the Installer, click to open it.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard.
- Once you have completed the process, check whether it is working correctly.
- It is advisable to reinstall Steam in the exact location or lose all your files and games.
5. Update Your Operating System And The Drivers
You must regularly update all the drivers and operating systems of your PC or laptop. It is advisable that whenever your system prompts for an update, you must go for it. If you ignore it, you will tend to forget to update your system later. It can be a crucial factor for the smooth running of other applications. Once you update your operating system along with the drivers, it is often seen that all the applications run smoothly. Therefore, if you want to update your operating system, you need to follow the steps given below:
- If you have missed the automatic update message on your PC, there is nothing to worry about.
- Click on the Start button of your PC or laptop.
- Type’ update’ in the text box or search box that appears.
- In the list you will see, click on either ‘Check for Updates’ or ‘Windows Update.
- Click on ‘Check for Updates.
- Windows will immediately scan your PC or laptop and show the result of applications needing immediate updates.
- Download and install the updates on your PC or laptop.
- Check the Steam client to see whether it is working smoothly.
Though updating your operating system is a simple process, it takes some time to update the drivers. Moreover, you need many computer skills to update the drivers correctly. However, if you are not computer savvy, you can still update your system’s drivers with the help of ‘Driver Easy.’
6. Following Are The Steps To Install ‘Driver Easy’:
- Download ‘Driver Easy’ from the net and install it on your PC or laptop.
- Once you have installed the application, click on ‘Run.’
- The software will scan your computer and detect the problem areas of your drivers.
- Click on each driver’s ‘update’ option one by one. You can also click on ‘update all’ to update all the drivers in one go.
- Restart your computer to check if ‘Steam’ is working.
7. Disable The Anti-Virus of Your System
Sometimes your system’s anti-virus plays a spoilsport and does not allow Steam to function correctly. You can temporarily disable your anti-virus for the time being and see whether Steam is working correctly. If the Steam application works well after disabling the anti-virus, it is advisable to consult the vendor to provide you with a different solution. It is because you need to protect your system from virus attacks when you are online. You cannot compromise anti-virus to play games on the Steam platform. Moreover, you must also be cautious while surfing the net and not visit any site with bugs.
8. Repair Your System Files
Your applications will not work if you have corrupt, damaged, or missing system files. If you are not well versed with the system, you can use Restore to run a complete scan of your system and check the status of your device. So, if you are facing Steam issues with Windows 10, it may be due to the ill health of your system files.
Restore is one of the best Windows repair tools that scans your entire system and thus finds faulty or damaged system files. It then repairs them automatically. You will get a set of entirely new components. Hence, there is no need to reinstall your operating system again.
Following are the steps to restore and repair your system files with Restore. Click:
- Download and install Restore.
- Open Restore and run a free scan. Though it may take a few minutes, you will get a detailed report of the health of your system files.
- Restart your system to check if the changes were positive.
9. Restore Your System From A Restore Point:
If you have tried all the possible ways to get Steam back to action, you will probably be frustrated and ask, Why won’t Steam open Windows 10? You may have probably installed a new program that stops Steam from launching. One of the best and safest options is to go for ‘System Restore. It requires a restore point or date you can choose according to your convenience. It will help you erase all the recent changes you made in your system. Following are the steps that will help you to create a restore point:
- Click the start button on the lower left corner of your screen.
- Type “recovery” and click Recovery in the list of results.
- Click Open System Restore. The System Restore wizard will appear.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard to restore your system
- After you finish the process, open your Steam client and check whether it is working fine.
10. Clear Cache:
When you download files online, your system’s cache memory builds up. It comes to a point where your hard disk is jammed with cache memory. Hence, if you want Steam to function correctly, you must clear the cache memory repeatedly. Following are the steps to clear the cache from your memory:
- Click on ‘Run’ from the start menu.
- Type steam: //flush config” and click on OK.
- It will clear the cache memory from your system and thus help Steam to run smoothly.
Therefore, if you are facing Steam issues, there are various ways with which you can restore. Since it is one of the best and most popular platforms to play your favorite games, you will feel annoyed if it does not work. However, there are various ways in which you can make Steam work. So, enjoy your favorite game with the Steam platform, and if you find any errors refer to the guideline to restore it.